PARTAGER AVEC VOS PROCHES SUR :
Project Manager and Support Officer
- Organization: UNESCO – United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Location: Yaoundé (Cameroon)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2021-05-26
Secteur de tutelle : Secteur de la culture (CLT)
Lieu d’affectation: Yaounde
Catégorie d’emplois: Culture
Type de contrat : Personnel non permanent
Durée du contrat : De 1 à 6 mois
Recrutement ouvert à : Candidats internes et externes
Clôture des candidatures (minuit heure de Paris) : 26-MAI-2021
Valeurs fondamentales de l’UNESCO : Engagement envers l’Organisation, intégrité, respect de la diversité, professionnalismeOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
I. Background /Justification
The UNESCO Regional Office for Central Africa in Yaounde is seeking expressions of interest from qualified and experienced individuals to support the elaboration of a strategy for the development of sustainable tourism at cultural and natural heritage sites and regions in Cameroon, including the 2 inscribed World Heritage Sites and those on the country’s Tentative List.
Cameroon boasts a rich and diverse culture sector spread across its four cultural areas, with their diversity as regards cultural and natural heritage, from Lake Chad and its savannahs in the North to the South-West coast, passing through the forest of the Congo to the South and East, to the unique and rich ‘Route des Chefferies’ in the West. These cultural, natural and historical sites contribute to forge the identity(ies) of each area while creating opportunities for community and national pride and tourism. Cameroon is a State Party to the UNESCO 1972 Convention for the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage, and has two World Heritage sites and a Tentative List of 18 potential World Heritage sites. However, the country is not taking advantage of the enormous economic potential and the opportunities for communities to improve their livelihood by their empowerment and involvement into in the development and management of sustainable tourism. Hence the need to lay the foundation for developing a comprehensive and sustainable heritage tourism strategy, based on the UNESCO’s Sustainable Tourism Programme for World Heritage.
UNESCO’s Sustainable Tourism Programme for World Heritage offers an opportunity to strengthen the enabling environment in Cameroon by advocating policies and frameworks that support sustainable tourism as an important vehicle for managing cultural and natural heritage. This shall be achieved through broad stakeholder engagement for the planning, development and management of sustainable tourism that follows a destination approach and focuses on empowering local communities, enhancing job opportunities and creation of employment, especially for women and youth, promoting the potential of local community level cultural and creative industries. Although the programme is primarily focused on cultural and natural sites, its tools and methodologies could also be applied broadly across the culture sector, in order to eventually develop a comprehensive and forward-thinking sustainable tourism development and management plan for Cameroon. The initiative will also sustain Cameroon’s conservation objectives of natural and cultural heritage sites whilst engaging with economic development and tourism. A clear and robust communication plan shall support such Strategy, with a two-fold approach of enhancing inclusivity and involvement of communities, and addressing target stakeholders and potential visitors, by overall categories/interests.
The global and sustainable aim of such a project is to build a sustainable tourism and growth and Heritage conservation in Cameroon. This will therefore contribute to promote and better popularize the aforementioned heritage sites among citizens, boost internal and international tourism, generate job opportunities for young people and women, support local economic development, promote the creation of an environment favorable to the emergence of economic activities and creative and cultural industries by the community and the private sector on the chosen sites, in order to develop the offer to tourists according to international standards while preserving and respecting local heritage, safeguarding local intangible cultural heritage and original cultural and visual identity. It will also offer the possibility of supporting not only economic resilience, but also help protect threatened cultural sites, contribute to conflict prevention, in particular in the context of post-conflict reconstruction in regions in crisis. It will also guarantee a balanced approach between site-conservation and site-promotion.
The specific objective of the assignment is to prepare for the Programme launch, manage, coordinate, monitor activities related to the elaboration of the project documents, by supporting the research, design, advocacy and dialogue activities between UNESCO and its partners and stakeholders, towards the design of the final project document. The Project manager will map and identify possible funding sources and strategic partners to fund the project.
III. Scope of work
The expert will undertake the following tasks:
- Undertake consultations to frame the vision and objectives of the programme;
- Organize and lead day to day planning, and follow up of activities related to the design of the project;
- Coordinate and follow up on the work of other consultants, experts and partners working on the project;
- Support multi-stakeholder participatory consultations to elaborate priorities for the development of the project document, scheduling meetings and setting agendas;
- Overseeing project activities, mitigating risks and solving issues;
- Internal and external stakeholder management;
- Participate in the organization of internal and external research;
- Contribute to the establishment of partnerships with relevant actors to facilitate the field research and ensure the participatory research approach;
- Develop plans for the production of advocacy tools including the creation of a create a full 3D mapping project;
- Plan and implement the project advocacy and dialogue activities;
- Contribute to the preparation of project activity documents and other internal and external communication documents ;
- Map potential donors, international bilateral and multilateral as well as the private sector;
- Reporting on progress;
- Keeping and updating project records.
- Programme project Documents with necessary government and stakeholders approvals and endorsements;
- Architectural designs and 3D rendering mapping for each of the selected project sites;
- Analytical studies completed by consultants (economic and cultural feasibility studies)
- Project reports and briefs;
- Activity reports;
- Other relevant reports;
- Additional documents to be identified during the work
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)Responsabilité (F) Communication (F) Innovation (F) Partage des connaissances et volonté constante d’amélioration (F) Planification et organisation (F) Culture du résultat (F) Travail en équipe (F) Pour plus d’informations, merci de consulter le Référentiel des compétences de l’UNESCO.REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Master-level university degree on architecture, cultural management, tourism economics or other relevant subjects
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience
- Direct experience in delivering training and capacity-building services based on the World Heritage and Sustainable Tourism programme’s principles, tools and methodology
- Demonstrates commitment to UNESCO mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender equality, religion, age sensitivity and adaptability
- Excellent knowledge related to culture and tourism policies and practices
- Excellent knowledge of the cultural context of Cameroon or in Africa
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience on architecture, sustainable tourism development and training (specific experience with World Heritage properties is a plus)
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of project documents and proposals for funding purposes;
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience on the preparation and delivery of training contents and the facilitation of public consultations
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated negotiation and inter-cultural communication skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Excellent knowledge of English and FrenchDETAILS / BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
Title: Project Manager and Support Officer
Grade : Senior
Type of contract : Consultant Contract
Period : 03 months
Deadline for submission : 26 May 2021SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization’s page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.APPLYSAVE
Postuler sur :